Note: I’m rereading this in the first quarter of 2011 and it’s pretty obsolete. I’ll update it at some point.
I’ve had scattered notes on setting up a new development computer from scratch in Backpack for years now. Hopefully collecting them here will make it more likely that they’ll stay up-to-date. This is my environment, probably not what I’d suggest for you.
I don’t necessarily install all of these all the time (MySQL), but I’d still rather have all the instructions in one place.
These notes assume Mac OS X Leopard, with the developer tools installed.
- 1Password. It knows all.
- Dropbox. Sync folders transparently.
- Emacs. I’m building Emacs 23 via MacPorts.
- Inconsolata. My favorite programming font.
- LaunchBar. Useless without it.
- MacPorts. I use this to manage as much dev stuff as I can.
- Things. What am I supposed to be doing right now?
- Adium. I like talking on the digital internets.
- FireFox. I use Safari for daily browsing, but FF for lots of dev.
- Growl. I turn off most notifications, but it’s still good to have.
- Mail Act-On. Effortless filing in Mail.app.
- Mail Unread Menu. Since I hide the dock and mute everything.
- Parallels. Only for testing stuff on Windows.
- Shimo. VPNs are dumb, but Shimo is pretty.
- Transmit. FTP, SFTP, S3.
- Tweetie. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
- Xmarks. Cross-browser, cross-machine bookmark syncing.
- FuzzyClock. Normal clocks are boring.
- GitNub. Good for quick repo history scans.
- Skitch. Screenshots + sharing.
Profile, Emacs Configuration, etc.
I keep most of my dotfiles in a Git repository and symlink them. I do the same thing with Dropbox for 1Password and Things.
$ sudo gem update --system
$ sudo port install git-core +svn +doc $ git config --global user.name John Barnette $ git config --global user.email firstname.lastname@example.org
$ sudo port install mysql5-server $ sudo mysql_install_db5 --user=mysql $ sudo port load mysql5-server
/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin to your path, and this should work:
$ mysql -uroot
MySQL Ruby Bindings
sudo gem install mysql -- \ --with-mysql-include=/opt/local/include/mysql5 \ --with-mysql-lib=/opt/local/lib/mysql5 \ --with-mysql-config=/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_config